Child Development in Famly includes a number of features, such as:
- Assessments, Observations & Two-Year Checks
- Learning Journeys and Up-to-Speed records
- Progress Tracking and Exports
Make an Assessment
You can start by creating an assessment from the Learning Journey in the Child's Profile. An assessment is a general snapshot of a child's current status and allows you to record overall Age Band Progress as Emerging, Developing or Secured.
Please note: When you click assessment, you will be asked to enter age band and refinements (emerging, developing, secure) but you will not have the option to select specific statements, such as Listens to stories with increasing attention and recall. If you want the option to select statements, please choose Observation instead.
We recommend that you click Assessment, where you will be able to include age bands and refinements (emerging, developing, secure) and leave the detailed statements to be part of the daily observations.
- Select Assessment to create a new one
- Enter your assessment in the text field. Drafts are saved automatically should you be called away
- You can add a photo or document by clicking Upload
- Now, go through the areas and select the correct age band and refinement (emerging, developing or secure). If you have already added observation links, the % progress in that age band will also appear for guidance
- Click create and the assessment will now appear on the child's Learning Journey.
Make an Observation (single or group)
- Go to your news feed (or learning journey)
- In the top box, next to Post you will see Observation, click into this tab
- Staff can only make observations as themselves, not as the nursery
- Search for the child or children you are observing
- You have the option to upload a photo or document
- Next select either the EYO or CoEL buttons which will take you into each Area, Sub-area and specific links
- When creating an observation you have the option to select both age band refinements (as you would in Assessments) as well as specific sub-area links. We recommend selecting links in observations and leaving the age band refinements to be selected in assessments only.
- Once you have selected the links, click send. The observations will now appear on the staff member and child's newsfeed, in the child's Learning Journey in their profile and in the Child Development app.
- Observations can be edited/deleted from the Newsfeed of the staff member that initially created the observation and the Child's Learning Journey.
Add a Two-Year check
In Famly you have the option to add a two-year check for a child. These can only be done once for each child. You add them from the same drop down menu where you create an observation or assessment from the child's learning journey.
They are similar to Assessments however they allow you to add a comment to each specific area of learning. Once this has been created it will appear as a fixed box in the child's learning journey.
The Learning Journey
All Assessments, Observations and Two-Year checks made for a child will appear in their Learning Journey in chronological order. In addition to this, we've added a summary that summarises progress in each area. By clicking 'Details', you can see the detailed breakdown of each subarea either by detailed progress (links) or overall for age band (refinements). The detailed summary page has now been optimised for better printing using File Print, command + p or control + p.
Bring a child up to speed
The Up to Speed feature, allows you to mark all statements as achieved without having to check off each statement one by one.
You can do this through the Details in the child's learning journey or through the Progress Report in the Child Development app. Simply select the Sub-area and Age you'd like the child to have completed all progress up to, and then click Bring up to speed.
The child will then have completed 100% of the statements up to and including this age band. If you record an up to speed incorrectly you can remove it by going into the Child Development App, landing on the overview page. From the type drop down menu select Up to Speed.
Child Development App
- You can access the Child Development App in the Apps section of your nursery account. You will automatically land on the Overview page
- Here you will see either a list of your observations, assessments and 2-year checks.
- When viewing all observations you can filter by type, observation status, author and key person.
You can also view next steps from the Child Development App. Here you can find a list of the different Next Steps entered on Assessments and Observations. You can filter the next steps by child, key person, room and made after date and use these for activity planning.
The default view of the progress report is by Statement-based tracking, this is a summary of each child's development based on the statements checked off in observations.
- Chose your as of date which will show all observations posted up to the specified date.
- When in this view you can click into each subarea box to see a detailed breakdown. Here you will be able to see the subarea title, the links that have been checked, the age band they were checked in and the date they were checked.
- The Age Band that is shown is the youngest incomplete Age Band, or youngest complete (100%) if they have not started on another older age band.
- Areas that the children are 2 or more age bands ahead of expected progress will be shaded in blue, those that are 2 or more age bands behind will be shaded in red.
- Alternatively you can view progress in regards to an Refinement-based tracking - this takes only Age band refinement records (normally done in assessments) into account and reports on the Emerging (grey), Developing (light green) and Secured (dark green) areas of development.
- You can view statement-based tracking as of a certain date, compare between certain dates, or progress since the initial baseline. This is considered to be the first assessment or observation recorded in which you chose emerging, developing or secured for any age band. Points are given in accordance with the level of progress made.
- You can filter both reports by Gender, Cohorts (Tags) or Key Workers
- The progress report page has now been optimised for better printing using File Print, Command + p or Control + p
Printing and Exporting
We've optimised the printing of a child's Learning Journey so that it can be shared easily. If you would like to send the Learning Journey virtually you can export it as a PDF.