Observe your children in Famly and track using EYFP Pre-Birth to Three, CfE Outcomes and GIRFEC links.
Before you start, you must give your staff Child Development related permissions.
Head into Setup > Staff > Compare permissions. Scroll down to the Child Development permissions section.
If you would like staff to be able to create observations/assessments but require them to be sent for review before they are posted, check the first box Manage observations (typically room staff) only. This first box must be checked in order to use any of the Child Development features.
If you would like staff to also be able to review and send the observations, check the second box Review and send observations (typically room leaders & managers). This also allows staff to post directly to the parents, without review.
The third permission, Manage activity library allows a staff member to create activities in the Activity library app.
In order to use the Child Development features, staff will also need the basic permission Access to basic child and employee info, which is found higher up in the list of permissions.
Make an Observation (single or group)
Observations are created in a similar way to assessments, however they are created on a more frequent basis. They can be created from a child's Learning journey or the news feed.
- Go to your news feed (or the learning journey)
- In the top box, next to Post you will see Observation - click on this tab
- Staff can only make observations as themselves, not as the nursery
- Search for the child or children you are observing. *If you create a group observation please note that any future edits made to the observation will be reflected in the observation for all of the children. You are not able to remove a child from the observation after it has been sent for review without deleting the observation completely.
- You have the option to upload a photo, video or document
When clicking 'send', if the staff member doesn't have the review and send permission, they will only be able to send the observation for review. If a staff member has both permissions, they will be able to choose between post directly and send for review.
You can also view next steps from the Child Development App. Here you can find a list of the different Next Steps entered on Assessments and Observations. You can filter the next steps by child, key person, room and made after date and use these for activity planning.
In the Child Development app, you will have a progress report and cohort tracking capabilities.
Children with observations will show up in the report and you will be able to see where they are at. Percentages show how much of an age band/area has been completed.
Staff and managers will receive notifications in Famly based on the following rules:
- A notification is sent to the staff member when a manager requests changes
- A notification is sent to the manager when a staff member updates an observation in review
- A notification is sent to the staff member when an observation is sent by a manager
- A notification is sent to the staff member when the parents comment on an observation
Parents and Observations
It is also possible for parents to add observations to the Learning Journey. These will need to be reviewed by management before they are posted. Nursery staff will see the observation in the Child Development app and can add links, request changes, take ownership, or write a comment back to parents. When the nursery requests changes, the parent will receive a notification.